Monday, March 16, 2015

Seeking cicadas in Northern Virginia (2013)

In 2013 it was anticipated the Brood II cicada population would explode in the Mid-Atlantic region. We did have a lot of "noise" that year, but many of these critters were not visible, at least where I live. So wanting to see the cicadas, I took a trip down Manassas to see if I could spot some (it turned out to be a rainy day).

With the rain, I didn't want to trek through the Manassas Battlefield, so I ended up at Northern Virginia Community College and walked through a trail near a parking lot. There was some beautiful music going on but I didn't get to spot too many. While not seeing the buzzing about I had expected, I did find evidence of their presence.


Sounds of cicadas - taken at Northern Virginia Community College in 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.