Monday, April 27, 2015

Michie Tavern's Grist Mill as it looks today

Last summer I had the pleasure of visiting Michie's Tavern, it was a place I've always wanted to go, so we stopped there for lunch in between visiting Monticello and Ash Lawn Highland. Lunch was great and afterward we walked around the historic property. One of the things I loved seeing was the old mill.

The mill that exists today is the former Meadow Lark Grist Mill (Laurel, Va.). It was relocated and reconstructed by Michie Tavern (Charlottesville, Va.) to replace one that fell away from decay and to not interrupt operations (I'm not sure of the year, it said "turn of the century" so I'm thinking around 1900 and the sign at the site is older...).

Today you can see the mill turning when visiting Michie Tavern. I spent a bit taking some photos there.





4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I loooooooooove old mills. This is in my sweetspot! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you! Your comment just gave me a huge smile :). So glad you liked it. Mills are fascinating to me too.

      Delete
  2. I love visiting these old historic sites when I get a chance. Great photos of the old mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barbara. I'm with you on the historic sites! One of my absolute favorite things to do.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.